document.write(unescape("%3Cstyle%20type%3D%22text/css%22%3E%0Abody%20%7B%20background-image

Saturday, January 19, 2019

STORIES

I have some stories to tell you all--
that I have not gotten around to until now--

First is the latest story of  "irons"--
During the first couple weeks of back in Sept--
when I first arrived back here in NY--
I bought myself a new ironing board and iron-
thinking I would be sewing right off--
and this is the   iron I bought--
I have to have a stainless steel soleplate--
cause when the Teflon ones heat up--they give off a toxic smell that makes me cough--
so I had found this one at Walmart for $14--
welllll--
we all know how sick I got after being here for 2 weeks--
and there was no sewing until now--so that sat on the ironing board--
from Sept to  this past Tuesday--when I finally had fabric that I needed to press for a project--
I opened the box and lifted the iron out--
and -
there was no way I could use this iron--it was too big and too heavy for me--
so back in the box it went and out to the computer I came--
I finally decided on my an old favorite iron I used to have when I lived in NY before
the adventure in Fl--
So I ordered it--at Walmart for $28--yep double what I had paid for the other one--
ouch--
but Joann's wanted $54 for the same iron ---sooooo!!!!
On Friday when this one came in--I returned the other one--
the clerk almost did not give me my money back on the other one--
as it had been over 90 days--but she finally agreed too--
thank you sales lady!!!

When I had this same iron years ago--
I had problems with the handle breaking--
but my brother sorta fixed it for me--but the handle was always in the up position--
and when I moved I got rid of it--
That one I had also paid the $50 for from the local quilt shop--
Today I got to use the new iron and it was like working with an old friend---
and this one is small and light weight and will be easier to get it back to FL either
in my suitcase or shipped!!

Now--another story--
I had ordered 2 wood rocking chairs from a company in CA through Walmart
for my move here--one for me and one for Anne when she came--
and I also ordered us a set of cushions for the chairs and 2 storage box foot stools--
and the rockers where here when I got here--
but--
what a mess--
first I was a mess--right after I got here--
foggy minded and such--
but I unpacked all the pieces--
(OHHH--forgot to tell you--these rockers came unassembled!!!)
and then the real fun began--
we could not get them together--
the pieces didn't match and the screws they sent me didn't seem to want to work--
two different men, sorta, tried to help me--
by this time--I already knew I was going back to FL--
so I decided to return the rockers--
it took weeks of working with Walmart and the CA company to get that done--
in the end they returned my money and said they didn't want me to return the chairs either--
and I really hated to just trash the chair pieces--
so I called a friend who I knew was good with wood and he took them--
thought maybe he could at least get one good chair out of them--
and he even got them both put together--
but said it took all kinds of work and redrilling and different screws--
he did offer them back to me--but I  told him, no, I had finally gotten my money back after 2-3 months of phone calls and emails--and after all the work he did on them he needed to keep them--
which he did--they sit on his front porch!!!

These are just 2 stories of how the things I got for this apartment had not worked out--
it just seemed that everything was broken, wrong size parts, didn't fit--whatever--
Can't tell you the amount of stuff I took back to Walmart or sent back to 3rd party companies!!!
If I had grandkids this would be a good story to tell them-but as I don't have any--I got to tell you!!!

Weather outside is 'frightful' tonight--
more on that tomorrow and hopefully some actual sewing finishes!!!!

Thanks for reading--I can laugh about all this now--but it sure wasn't funny at the time--!!!


TEXT SOME ONE THAT YOU LOVE THEM TODAY--
LUV, DI



5 comments:

sunny said...

So do you and Anne have to sit on the floor? I'm surprised the company didn't want the chairs back. i guess it cost more to return them than they were worth. Thankfully, you got your money back! Stay warm in this mess. They keep changing our forecast. As of right now, it's mostly rain for us. But we already have rain, sleet, and snow. Brrrrr

Rose said...

What a time you have had...this reminds me of the Christmas we all got sick...

Maria said...

Ah !! My hubby and I call that sort of thing "Wilson Luck" because for us things always seem to go wrong....

Carol said...

Wow, Di, what a time you have had getting new things! I hope your luck is changing. Can't wait to see finishes. :-)

Kate said...

I'm careful about where I order "assembly required" furniture from for that very reason. Glad you were able to get your money back on both purchases.