document.write(unescape("%3Cstyle%20type%3D%22text/css%22%3E%0Abody%20%7B%20background-image

Thursday, June 18, 2020

BASTING AWAY AT IVY COTTAGE

That is what I have been doing for the last two day--
I have managed to get the backings and batting cut for both the
hand piecing quilts done-- then pressed--layered-
and now both are basted for hand quilting--
my new table/ironing area--
cleaned off and turned into a basting table-
love my new olfa light, by the way--
I finished the basting on this one-
this morning--
yesterday I got the basting done on the Christmas one--
and even got 2 of the large blocks all hand quilted--
This is the block I was most 'worried' about--but it came out pretty good--
I am using a thread that goes from red to green to white--for the hand quilting--!!
in the candy blocks I will be stitching snowflakes--
and in the half triangles will be half a snowflake--at least that is the plan!!!!

I did have 'fun' with the Aqua top in putting the last border on it--
I cut the border blocks 4" x 8 1/2" and it came out perfect fit, with using 4 blocks
on top, bottom, and both sides, with a corner stone of 4" square--
but 3 color strips had rows of hearts on them--

and so one had to be careful in the cutting--I needed some to go this way for top  and bottom rows--
and some needed to go this way--

for the side stripes--
And I knew that and was careful in the cutting--
only--somehow--somehow--I did not cut some right!!
luckily--I had more fabric and was able to cut them correctly--
(and while I am "confusing" here--I even managed to cut some of the other blocks too short!!!)
oh well--again had enough fabric so was able to cut them correctly--
Here is the finished top--all hand pieced--
and how 'sandwiched and basted' here at Ivy Cottage--
we have until July 15th to get the tops finished, (don't have to be quilted by then)
and I have done them both--
but my goal is also to get them both hand quilted by that day--
I just might need some 'fairy' help to get that done though!!!

Well--the sunshine is calling my name--

so I must go--

HAVE A GREAT FUN DAY TODAY DOING SOMETHING SPECIAL FOR YOURSELF!
LUV, DI



7 comments:

CathieJ said...

I really like the idea of quilting with that variegated thread. I like how the quilting looks on that block. Enjoy your stitching.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Oh, those pretty pastels make that my favorite quilt! Looks like beach colors that we love so much here in FL! That's pretty funny about losing weight. ha...ha !

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

What pretty colours you used for your Book Club project. YOu have such wonderful projects on the go. I had to go back a couple of posts and catch up. Take care now and happy stitching!

Kate said...

You've made lots of progress! The hand stitching on the Christmas quilt looks good and I love your finished aqua and pink flimsy. You'll have lots to stitch on the next couple of weeks.

Patty said...

Your quilt is gorgeous! Thanks for sewing along with us in the Hand Pieced QAL!

sunny said...

Your fabrics are so pretty! I need to give hand quilting another try. A close friend might be able to get me started?

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love the aqua and pink quilt! They are a great combination! I'm so impressed you've made two hand-pieced tops - both will be very special finishes.